Macro-trends related to clean eating continue to fuel shoppers’ desire for “natural” and “free-from” foods and beverages. However, opportunities exist for processed foods and beverages that take advantage of their inherent benefits and can provide important “better for you” eating and drinking options.
This 2018 report from HealthFocus International takes a deeper look at the topic of processed foods & beverages—exploring both the positive and negative associations. The report also reveals shopper attitudes on additives & preservatives globally, regionally and across 22 individual countries to help companies better understand shopper motivations & attitudes—allowing them to connect more powerfully with their targets and bring market solutions faster and more profitably.
Some of the many topics addressed within the report include:
Opportunities for Processed Foods & Beverages
- What are the positive attributes (e.g., shelf life, convenience, safety, fortification, etc.)?
- Do shoppers think processed foods & beverages are necessary for convenience?
The Challenge for Processed Foods & Beverages
- What are the negative attributes (e.g., less healthy, ingredients they don’t want, etc.)?
- Which markets are most concerned about processed foods?
- Is this a growing trend? How many shoppers have decreased their use of processed foods?
- Are shoppers willing to pay a premium for less processed foods or beverages?
Avoiding Food & Beverage Additives
- Does using no additives make foods & beverages seem a lot healthier?
- Brand influence: no additives, recognizable ingredients, fewer ingredients on the label, no artificial sweeteners, and no artificial colors or flavors
- How many shoppers are actively avoiding artificial ingredients?
- Which markets are most focused on simple & recognizable ingredients?
Attitudes & Actions Towards Preservatives
- How concerned are shoppers about food preservatives?
- Are they actively avoiding them? Is this a growing trend?
- Are shoppers willing to pay a premium for no preservatives?
- Labeling importance & brand influence
- NORTH AMERICA: USA and Canada
- LATIN AMERICA: Brazil, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina
- EUROPE: France, Germany, UK and Russia
- WEST ASIA: Saudi Arabia and Turkey
- SOUTH ASIA: India and Pakistan
- EAST ASIA PACIFIC: Australia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, S. Korea, Thailand and Vietnam